Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Schreiber Returns! Part VII: Mike Wallace plays Matlock

Karlheinz Schreiber returned to the Commons Ethics committee on Tuesday--avec ses notes! As with last Thursday's proceedings, the following is NOT a transcript, so quote at your own risk ;) Time-stamps are approximate. You can return to the beginning of this 'series,' by clicking here: Part I.

Mike Wallace plays Matlock

Del Mastro (CPC): during the discussions at Harrington Lake, no money changed hands, right?
Schreiber: absolutely.
Del Mastro (CPC): when BM testified in 1996 Airbus inquiry, he said, "I never had any dealings with (Schreiber)"...his statement was accurate?
Schreiber: yes b/c Kim Campbell didn't win. There was nothing else BM could do (viz BHP).
Del Mastro (CPC): Reason that Airbus has been a big story is b/c opposition members have alleged that the former PM took bribes to aid in purchase of Airbus. But everything you've said today leads me to believe that the Airbus jets were bought b/c it made sense, b/c economic benefit, good choice for Air Canada. Accurate?
Schreiber: yes, sir. I have a lawsuit in Alberta (another one?) since 1997 to bring out that truth. Unfortunately, couldn't make him b/c our government blocked me all the way through (???). There were only two ways for me to get the truth out: either in a courtroom or in this inquiry.
Del Mastro (CPC): Is there anything sinister about a company receiving commissions for representing a comany?
Schreiber: no.
Del Mastro (CPC): (smugly) Didn't think so.

Szabo (chair, LPC): we will have Asselin for 5 min, then Martin for 5 min. Then have consultation...then adjourn after that, go in-camera so that members can examine all of these documents.
Asselin (BQ): BHP was to be created in Nova Scotia. Since this didn't happen, you turned to Quebec. Since you couldn't make it "under the Maple Leaf"...you were thinking of getting it under "the fleur-de-lis." Now, as far as BHP, apart from BM b/c Ministers discuss this issue, Charest was a senior Minister w/BM. Did you continue to lobby other ministers, including perhaps M. Charest?
Schreiber: AFAIK, the lobbying stopped. BM said he had better support in Quebec. BM thought it would be easier for him than in Nova Scotia.
Asselin (BQ): this was an important project for you. You'd invested at least 300K. I don't understand why you didn't use your influence on other ministers, apart from M. Mulroney. So you lobbied Mr. Charest in the run-up to his leadership campaign (1993)--you paid 30K to his brother, correct?
Schreiber: Yes.
Asselin (BQ): what was his first name?
Schreiber: I don't remember.
Asselin (BQ): was it in cash?
Schreiber: Yes.
Asselin (BQ): Other cash payments were made for future work expecting him to become Conservative leader (if he had defeated Campbell). Why not use Charest's services while he was a senior minister in BM's cabinet?
Schreiber: many things were done by my colleagues, e.g. Marsman. I stayed out of it.
Asselin (BQ): your 30K donation to Charest against Campbell...was it b/c you'd known him for a long time or b/c you thought there might be benefits to you if you supported him?
Schreiber: I met with Charest when he was Min. Environment, and I thought he was something new, something fresh (*puke*). Of course, if he had won and become PM, I expect he'd recognize that help I gave him when he ran for the leadership.

12:50 PM
Wallace (CPC): last Thursday, you said you gave a letter to BM to take back to Harper and that you got a response that things went alright (i.e. BM hinted that Harper would help you). But on Nov 7, 2007 affidavit, you say "There was no apparent followup by Mr. Mulroney to my July 20, 2006 letter, and therefore I wrote a letter on Jan 29, 2007, advising Mr. Mulroney that I was still counting on his support to engage the government of Canada to commence a public inquiry into the Airbus affair" (pg 9, paragraph 40, Exhibit 16)
Szabo (chair, LPC): (looking for passage quoted by Wallace)
Wallace (CPC): (annoyed at Szabo) You told me he "had a great memory"...the question is: what's accurate? (to Schreiber) You told us that BM said things went well. But in your affidavit, you said you got no response.
Schreiber: I got no response from him (personally). This is what a friend told me...
Wallace (CPC): (interrupting Schreiber) It was hearsay! So you have no idea whether BM spoke to Mr. Harper or received the letter. You have no...
Schreiber: oh yeah, I have an idea, the PM said...
Wallace (CPC): (laughs derisively) Hahahaha...
Szabo (chair, LPC): we're getting near the end. We need to let someone complete their answers so everybody can hear, including translators.
Wallace (CPC): there was no verbal or written response from BM to you that he had engaged PM Harper on the topic of your letter.
Schreiber: correct, that was why I was shocked then that PM Harper said BM never showed him the letter. Never spoke to him about the letter. Wasn't the first time BM wanted a letter from me where I believed, "maybe I'm an idiot, but I believed..."
Wallace (CPC): thank you.

Coming up next: Part VIII ("Fellas, please! It's really hard to hear with all this Conservapoo flying around"), or Return to Part VI ("Wash me, but don't make me wet")
Photo Credit: (adapted from) Timstvshowcase.com

No comments: