Sunday, December 9, 2007

Schreiber Day 3, Part I: Who's Afraid of a Big, Bad Inquiry?

Karlheinz Schreiber returned to the Commons Ethics committee for the third time on Thursday, December 6. As with the two previous meetings (Nov 29 and Dec 4), the following is NOT a transcript, so quote at your own risk ;) Time-stamps are approximate.

Who's Afraid of a Big, Bad Inquiry?

11:07 AM
Szabo (chair, LPC): Mr. Schreiber is accompanied again by his counsel, Mr. Richard Auger, who may advise KHS but not address the committee directly. Mr. Schreiber, the cmte has received the docs you brought on Tues. Late yesterday, the docs were given to the press gallery and to Brian Mulroney (BM). I remind you that refusal to answer is not an option. You are covered by parliamentary privelege. Moving on to the first round...ooops...sorry, Mr. Schreiber, you would like to make a statement today?
Tilson (vice-chair, CPC): (interrupting Szabo) Point of privilege! We went through this the other day, where you, Mr. Chairman made a very lengthy statement and then Mr. Schreiber made a very lengthy statement. I don't believe that the witnesses have a right each time to give an opening statement. He had an opportunity to do this last time...
Szabo (chair, LPC): Mr. Tilson, that is not a matter of privilege...
Tilson (vice-chair, CPC): You haven't let me finish...I can only talk so fast. I know you like to talk fast (*ouch*) but I don't talk as fast as you do. The cmte members have a number of questions and I don't believe you have a right to invite witnesses each day to make opening statements. We have rules in this cmte, sir, and you don't have the right to set your own rules (*ugggh* what an a-hole!).
Szabo (chair, LPC): thank you, Mr. Tilson, yesterday (sic) in this cmte...

***interruption***
(motion to give Mr. Schreiber 5 min max to make an opening stmt--I can't see who's making this motion)

Szabo (chair, LPC): We're on a point of privilege now, so I can't entertain your motion now but I hear you. Are you finished, Mr. Tilson? Ok. At our last mtg, I did invite Mr. Schreiber to make a stmt at any time...Mr. Schreiber, you understand that the members are anxious to get to questions, but I did offer that to you to hopefully clear up any matters. How much time would you require, Mr. Schreiber?
Schreiber: probably 2 minutes
Szabo (chair, LPC): Mr. Tilson, would that be ok?
Tilson (vice-chair, CPC): I don't think witness should have--he's had his time! You keep going on sir, you can't do that! You make these statements and then you just ignore what we say and proceed. It's most inappropriate! (*ugh* Settle down, eh?)
Szabo (chair, LPC): Thank you, Mr. Tilson (yikes, Szabo is being way too gracious and polite to Tilson today). I've made a decision, I'm going to keep my word. Mr. Schreiber?

Schreiber: Good morning. And last time, until now, you've received the "road map" of the case, b/c I think only when you understand the history you can manage the present and the future. This is what I've learned. Since 1997, I (have) sued the Attorney General and the RCMP. I was blocked from the Dept. of Justice from bringing forward my case. Until today. I know Canadians and I can find the truth only in a courtroom or a public inquiry, when people have to testify under oath, knowing there are people around who know when one is committing perjury.
Schreiber: Though I asked for years for a public inquiry, thanks the Lord that this cmte started the process after all those years. I did not ask for a public inquiry concerning the payment of 300K. Would I be out of my mind to ask for something I know better than anybody else? The last letter I sent to PM Harper tells you what I want for all Canadians--a full, public inquiry into the biggest political justice scandal in the history of Canada, with international implications. The cover-up action from the current government, the lies of the Min. Justice, the kidnapping of me, etc. Who is so scared that the Justice dept. and RCMP get involved in all kinds of illegal actions against me? Disappointment ...(???)...How will you understand in a short time what happened w/o my help in 4 hours? You should be very satisfied, at least those of you who want the inquiry, media, or those who understand the case b/c they are in it for 13 yrs. And there are others who think they know the case and they don't. Read, listen--you learn!--and always ask "why." Nothing has changed, it is a fight for power and big money. You can listen to one who knows or to others--who know nothing.

Szabo (chair, LPC): give the floor to the Hon. Robert Thibault.
Thibault (LPC): before my questions, I'd like to move that, in light of the fact that we have a lot of questions, 7 min and 5 min rounds are insufficient to get into any details, I would move that each round be 10 mins.
Szabo (chair, LPC): debate?
Tilson (vice-chair, CPC): no problem. 10 mins not enough. 20 mins not enough. Frankly, this whole process is inadequate to find out what's going on ('It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham.' *snerk*) You could ask 3 questions, which would each lead to 3 more questions. So, I have no problem with the motion...this is almost turning into some kind of inquiry itself so 10 min isn't enough. Starting to do the work of a public inquiry, which hasn't even begun yet.
Szabo (chair, LPC): (motion carried; each member will get 10 min/round)

Coming up next: Part II ("The Sweet Smell of Success Fees")
Photo Credit: buycostumes.com

No comments: