Sunday, December 9, 2007

Schreiber Day 3, Part IV: Party Pooper

Karlheinz Schreiber returned to the Commons Ethics committee for the third time on Thursday, December 6. As with the two previous meetings (Nov 29 and Dec 4), the following is NOT a transcript, so quote at your own risk ;) Time-stamps are approximate. You can return to the beginning of this 'series,' by clicking here: Part I.

Party Pooper

(Martin passing to Joe Comartin, NDP)
Comartin (NDP): you had a conversation w/Mr. Doucet when he talked about BM and money, Airbus...when did that conversation take place? Phone conversation?
Schreiber: No, I was in the office at GCI. Fred Doucet was there, working for me. Must have been late 1992 or early 1993. (NOTE: Doucet has denied that this conversation took place)
Comartin (NDP): BM was PM at the time?
Schreiber: yes
Comartin (NDP): Were there any others present now, come w/Mr. Moores when he said, "don't bother with that," when did that happen?
Schreiber: either the same day or later...
Comartin (NDP): did you prepare some kind of memo or letter about that conversation?
Schreiber: (sly smile) I mean, who would do things like that?
Comartin (NDP): well, Mr. Schreiber, the media's been quite strong on how well you keep records. Have you kept a diary at all through your time in Canada?
Schreiber: since when?
Comartin (NDP): when did you come to Canada?
Schreiber: in the 70s.
Comartin (NDP): since that time, have you kept a diary of your activities?
Schreiber: yes, but unfortunately, w/all these actions against me in Germany, all those things were taken and disappeared. In the meantime, you can buy diaries from me on the market. From the journalists.

***laughter***

Schreiber: it's funny.
Comartin (NDP): the German government seized diaries?
Schreiber: I can't say b/c I was not around. I was living in Switzerland at the time. I'm amazed that only the two critical ones, 1991 and 1994--I'm not sure--showed up there.
Comartin (NDP): back to the conversation w/Doucet and Moores. You have a log of your appointment book?
Schreiber: no
Comartin (NDP): did you keep a day-timer at the time?
Schreiber: it's the same thing (it was taken)---I carry these things always around w/me.
Comartin (NDP): one for each year?
Schreiber: yes
Comartin (NDP): did those also disappear?
Schreiber: yes
Comartin (NDP): you said you expected to get some kind of receipt or bill from BM. Did you ever get a bill or receipt from BM, acknowledging the 1st 100K?
Schreiber: no
Comartin (NDP): did you ever ask him for one? (good question!)
Schreiber: no
Comartin (NDP): to this day, you've never asked?
Schreiber: no
Comartin (NDP): any subsequent payments, did you ever receive any acknowledgement?
Schreiber: no

***annoying confusion about the 200K--subsequent payments or the 200K diff between 500K BHP acct and the total given to BM?***

Comartin (NDP): you never asked him to formally acknowledge the 300K until you sued BM?
Schreiber: yes, correct.

11:49 AM
Hiebert (CPC): In your May 8 letter to BM, you allege a "conspiracy and cover-up action by PM Stephen Harper." Can you tell us the name of the Justice Minister who signed the surrender order for your extradition to Germany on Oct 31, 2004?
Schreiber: Irwin Cotler, I believe.
Hiebert (CPC): could you tell me what political party Mr. Cotler is a member of? (Arrrrrrggggggh!)
Schreiber: Liberal party.
Hiebert (CPC): so is it your testimony that the LPC is also part of this "conspiracy and cover-up?"
Schreiber: yes, they initiated the whole thing against me in Germany in 1995.
Hiebert (CPC): we understand from the surrender order that would have you extradited to Germany that you're facing charges in Germany. Could you tell us about the charges?
Schreiber: it's well known...tax evasion, fraud, bribery, all this stuff, but if you'd read the letter from the Swiss, which is in the documents at the Dept. of Justice, you would see what nonsense this is.
Hiebert (CPC): so you mentioned that Irwin Cotler was Min. of Justice at the time and that he was a Liberal Party member. Is it your belief that the LPC was also part of the cover-up?
Schreiber: at the beginning, yes. And I accuse mainly the IAG (?) from the Justice Dept...
Hiebert (CPC): is it also your belief that the governor of Germany is also part of the cover-up?
Schreiber: (defensively) No! The prosecutors together w/Justice Dept are part of it, but the Gov. of Germany has nothing to do with it.
Hiebert (CPC): Mr Chair, it appears that the May 8, 2007 letter is just another in Mr. Schreiber's desperate campaign to avoid extradition. I draw your attn to another letter Mr. Schreiber wrote on July 20, 2006 where he makes some statements (letter from Schreiber to BM), which make some statements that completely contradict the May 8 letter. Quote: "You and I are the innocent victims of this vendetta. You are still the prime target...May I state for the record that my testimony under oath in prior legal proceedings is the only correct description of our business arrangement"..."You, after returning to private life, at my request, agreed to advise and consult me in certain business affairs"..."there is no Airbus affair involving Brian Mulroney and, furthermore, there is nothing to hide." So, Mr. Chair, my question is about the apparent contradiction between the two letters. Also, there's some pre-existing testimony that contradicts. I share my time w/Mr. Van Kesteren...
Schreiber: may I respond?!
(Szabo agrees)
Schreiber: Number one, I told the cmte that the letter you're referring to I wrote only on request (the 2006 letter), as I was told BM was meeting w/PM Harper. Number two, yes, I had all these allegations when the Liberal Party was in power. And I apologize that I have the impression you miss it all the time (*snerk*). My expectations were not to the LPC at that time, b/c I was told they were the evil ones who were responsible for the whole mess, including BHP (the cancellation). My expectations started when the Conservative government came back to power--MY party (pointing at his chest), are you with me?! (he's really fired up!). And I expected what the Conservatives asked for--now they are going to hunt the LPC down the street and bring to light this horrible vendetta against Mr. Mulroney and myself. And what do I find? They are the ones who are running away scared like hell and all the lies that he wanted to support it (i.e. that BM told KHS that Harper wanted to support an inquiry)--all this came out later, after 2006. Understand?!

(Holy cripes, is Schreiber pissed!)

Continue to Part V ("Everybody wanted to get something"), or return to Part III ("What happens in Switzerland, stays in Switzerland").

No comments: